Sunday, April 6, 2014

Asymmetrical Starburst

Students explore geometry and art by creating asymmetrical starburst designs!

1. Draw a line segment 3 to 5 inches long in the center of the paper.
2. Make dots around the line segment. (No dots on the horizontal line)
10 dots (5 above, 5 below for younger students / 15-20 dots for older students)
3. Connect the dots! - but, in a pattern. (Connect one end of the line segment to a dot, back to the other end of the line segment) - repeat (end of line segment-dot-other end of line segment) - use a ruler

Note: To simplify this project have children make their horizontal line a different color or add bright colored dots to the end of the line segment. Then, they will be able to see where they draw their lines to.

Math Connection:
Visit I Love That Teaching Idea for questions to ask children while they are constructing!

1 comment:

  1. I love this project, and worked up a 4th grade (technology/geometry) lesson from it. Erin, I'd like to contact you directly for copyright permission to use your project in my lesson plan. My email is nmeinke@region18.org if you contact me, I will send you what I wrote up. thank you in advance Nancy

    ReplyDelete